Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Blondie here! I’m taking a much needed break from attempting to hunt down the ever elusive “perfect” thanksgiving turkey. He gave me the slip on Canal Street by jumping the turnstile for the Q but, never fear, I’ll catch up with Major Tom Gobbler before too long. At the moment I'm pretty much convinced that only a Time-Turner will allow Blondie and Bubble T to shake a (turkey) leg and get on with posting our helpful hints, tips and vignettes for surviving the Con*Verse. Of course now that the holidays have arrived, ::cues ominous music:: all bets are off. Life is beyond nuts right now, but we still hope to carve out time for new and thought inducing blogs... before February! :)

Please, Dear Reader, do take pity on the beleaguered Dynamic Duo. ::holds up bandaged hand:: Blondie burnt herself whilst baking half a dozen pies and, on top of that, we’re in the final intense round of training for that glorious, holiday to only the hearty (and, so I’m told, heartily insane), the Chernobyl’s Jacuzzi of shopping events, Black Friday!

What, you ask, is the Blonde One thankful for this year? I am incredibly grateful to have friends who share my passion for all things labeled by society as “geeky” or “nerdy.” I am grateful that I have found these kindred spirits who embrace cosplaying, attending cons, revisiting the eternal DC vs. Marvel argument (DC all the way! Well… except in movies, their movies mostly suck), reading fanfiction, gracing Renaissance Faires with the dubious joy of our presence and, above all, for not giving a flying Fig Newton about what others think of our… oddness.

I am also grateful for parents who thought introducing me to “Star Trek” was as important as introducing me to the Disney Princesses (who, for the record, are also full of awesome!) I’m truly thankful there are at least 14 episodes of “Firefly” unlike the all too brief 9 episodes of my beloved “Mann & Machine” (Anyone?... Anyone?... Bueller?... Bueller?...) I’d be beyond thankful if I could sit down to dinner with Nathan Fillion! I’m eternally grateful to cows for making the heavy cream that creates my soul’s delight; ice cream! I’m thankful to peanut butter & chocolate for making this world a better place by joining forces to create the most important team ever! And last but not least, I’m forever grateful to have found a partner in crime… er crime fighting, Bubble T! What are you, Dear Reader, thankful for?

I hope that you all have a lovely Thanksgiving week. Be sure to keep your favorite geek Thanksgiving episodes close at hand so that you can procrastinate…er… relax properly before beaming into a Thanksgiving feast worthy of a Klingon appetite! As for the Blonde One, I don’t have too much time between feasting and Midnight Maddness thus I only plan on watching:

Gilmore Girls “A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving”

Chuck “Chuck vs. the Nemesis”
Buffy the Vampire Slayer “Pangs”

I leave you, Dear Reader, with my adored Spike, gracing us with his feelings about Thanksgiving:"I just can't take all this namby-pamby boo-hooing about the bloody Indians ... You won! All right? You came in and you killed them and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. That's what Caesar did, and he's not going around saying, 'I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it.' The history of the world is not people making friends. You had better weapons, and you massacred them. End of story."

Yupma' botIvjaj!






Buy this incredible print from the hugely talented Mark Dos Santos at:
http://www.markdossantos.com/COMMERCE/PRINTS/PAGES/gothameveningpost_4.html

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm thankful for terrific creator-owned comics like "Fables", "Y: The Last Man", and "100 Bullets." I'm also thankful for having awesome friends to go to Cons and Faire with. I'm especially thankful for my wonderful geeky wife, who loves nerding out as much as I do. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays to Blondie and BubbleT! Was the pie that burned you Rokeg Blood Pie, perchance? :) I hope it wasn't too bad a burn.

    Hrm, what am I thankful for. Having enough to get by and still celebrate the holidays with my friends & family. Friends who enjoy the same kinds of geeky things I do, without having to enjoy the *exact* same things I do. It's good to overlap though! I'm thankful my Unforgiving comics came in, though I can't wait for more! And I would be remiss if I didn't echo Blondie's sentiments on ice cream, chocolate, and peanut butter. Dang.. now I have a craving...

    ReplyDelete